Monday, May 5, 2008

Now For Something Completely Different: UDTube is Up and Running

Upper Deck Diamond Vision opened May 1 so that collectors can FINALLY have that well needed spot to post their video box breaks. I guess the 19,000 box breaking members of YouTube werent enough to convince UD that maybe this was overkill. I do give them props for offering the boxes for the winners and the grand prizes for the eventual "box break of the year(?)".

Its a nice idea, but I have to savage them for doing it so freaking late in the box breaking genre. Most film scholars will agree that the stages of a genre are primitive (documenting breaks in the monthly mags), classical (The Doc and company), experimental (Most of the YouTube breaks), and eventually Parody(See the breaks posted in response to the Exquisite Fraud). This is basically just taking all the YouTube breaks that people have done and using them as an advertising module for their products with the promise of a "premium box" as a possible prize. What the sheep may not notice is that UD takes all rights to your break when you post, and you are giving them free reign to use it as they please.

I will not be posting any breaks on the Diamond Vision site regardless of the prize due to the ban as well as the reason mentioned above. I posted my breaks for the benefit of the collector, not the benefit of UD. Also, I wouldnt put it past them to post breaks from "collectors" who get amazing stuff in their boxes and then post it on the site. So far, as of 5/5/08 at 10:26 am, I know all the vids are legit because I have interacted with the breakers before the site was active.

As for the future, who knows.

No comments:

Post a Comment