Friday, March 19, 2010

While I Was Out: Upper Deck Lays Off Entertainment Employees

I know there are a lot of people out there who hate Upper Deck, but people losing jobs is never something to celebrate. Honestly, this move was expected, as the Entertainment division is slowly becoming obsolete after the Konami lawsuit was settled. The next division to take a hit is likely the baseball part of UD's operations, as many of the goals that were on the list are no longer able to be accomplished.


When it comes down to financials, its still unclear how bad it actually is for Upper Deck. Rumors are flying like boogers after a sneeze, but its rare that a company would ever give us advanced notice of any problems. I still believe that UD will continue to have its crew of footballers at full strength, as the brand seems to be running pretty normally. As for Hockey and Basketball, I see little evidence that things will be slowing down, even if Panini ends up with a license.

Is UD out of the storm quite yet? Yes and no. Financial instability will always be a question whenever a problem comes up, but I doubt its as big of a factor as some of the skeptics out there are making it out to be at this particular moment. The future is yet to be seen, however, and things could easily change instantaneously.

Regardless of how you feel about the company, I would hate to imagine how many families would be saddled with huge problems if Upper Deck closed its doors. I will say that a lot of this could have been prevented with better business ethics, and that is something the brass at UD will have to live with for a long, long time.

2 comments:

  1. I was never thrilled about their entertainment division (and Prominent Cuts is turrible, just turrible). I love non-sports stuff, but UD never wowed me like Rittenhouse (who is a quasi-UD partner thinger, right?) has on a consistent basis. They (UD) seem to have their focus now in football. I keep hearing about the Panini/NHL thing and that'll make me one sad wombat (ITG can't afford it, but they deserve it).

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I know there are a lot of people out there who hate Upper Deck, but people losing jobs is never something to celebrate."

    It's not often I totally agree with you, but I do on this.

    ReplyDelete