Saturday, July 19, 2008

First Look - 2008 Topps Allen & Ginter

Hello again everybody. I haven't had time to post for Gellman in a while. I was going to do a review of 2008 UD A Piece of (shit) History, but I went to my local hobby, bought a few packs, and threw up in my mouth. In summation, another shitty $5 / pack product from Upper Deck with a bazillion parallels.

Anyway, here is our first look at a couple of boxes of 2008 A & G. The first product in a while that I'm actually excited about. Yes, I can hear it already. I have railed against baseball products with non-baseball cards in them. However, that's kind of the point of this set, and we know that going in. The greatest thing about this set is that the cards of MLB players are fantastic, and the artwork that goes into these is phenomenal. This and Masterpieces are probably the only sets all year where I actually care about the base cards. The autos are all on-card, and this is one of the best checklists of any Topps product so far this year. It doesn't break the bank either. There are a ton of boxes on the Bay right now for about $85. Product of the year 2 years running, this has got to be one of the best mid-level products you can buy. I'm actually excited to open a hobby box again. But, judge for yourself.


2008 Topps Allen and Ginter from Beckett Media LP on Vimeo.

9 comments:

  1. No comments about the Andy Dick impersonator? Gellman, you aren't going soft on me are you??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Gellman, I'm trying to figure out a way to make it more obvious that this is my post.

    Anyway, I know these guys are doitch bags, but The video is about the product.

    Would you prefer Hack-ler perhaps?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, where is the Refractor Joe Collector post? I had two put in my two cents. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. We don't like Beckett. I think we've just about beat the living shit out of that topic for now.

    This vid is the only place to check out 2008 A & G until next week. Just thought you may want to check out the set, and decide if you like before you buy.

    For fuck's sake. Next time I'll put a goddamn RIP PARTY!!!!!!!!!! video up instead.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Gary, I couldnt have put it better myself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Here's hoping that either you rediscover what you liked so much about collecting in the first place or perhaps find a new hobby that provides some enjoyment for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This hobby does provide enjoyment because I still get to have my cards to look at when the day is over. However, it is my goal to make sure that people no longer walk around blindfolded when it comes to your bullshit. Now stop coming on here and saying weird shit. If you want to contribute valid points, fine, but I dont think that is possible for your. If you dont have anything relevant to say, this is not your forum, you have your own blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Here's the problem that we all have with Beckett:

    YOU ARE NOT ACTING IN AN ETHICAL MANNER!

    This country was founded on the principles of FAIR PLAY. Beckett doesn't play fair at all.

    FACT One: You get FREE boxes of product from the card companies to review. That's fine and dandy, hell I'd CERTAINLY review any product that happened to come my way gratis. That said, I would not hold back a thing in my reviews. If a product is a dud, then it's a dud.

    FACT Two: The boxes you get from said manufacturers are LOADED. These are not the same boxes that regular collectors can purchase. You pull cards that you have no business pulling, especially 1/1s that other collectors drool over. What happens to those cards?

    FACT Three: YOU SELL CARDS that YOU PRICE! That is a CLEAR conflict of interest. Wizard magazine pulls the same shit with certain comic books, and it's unethical over there too. Not only that, they've been busted by more prominent bloggers and taken to task. Of course their media empire is currently crumbling, so take a long HARD look at how Wizard is failing rapidly and then look in the mirror, because BECKETT, you're next.



    I tried to watch that video, I got about 10 minutes in before I had to turn it off. Yes, the cards are the main attraction, and I like the close ups and the attention to cards that wouldn't normally be what every collector is after. BUT you two are the worst hosts since the Rip Party guy.

    Y'all need to go to etiquette school, because you have no class Beckett employees.

    ReplyDelete