Friday, March 28, 2008

Upper Deck - Thanks for the Memories!

Man, I have wanted to do this for a long, long time. Let me start with that. I feel there are so many issues that need to be tackled, because with most things, information is at a premium. So with no sponsorship or any type of dictators running the show, I can finally post without worry of what is going to happen. No bans are thrown down here.

THE UPPER DECK SITUATION

So, most of you have been following this, im sure. Right? Its the first time I was really moved into action by anything going on in the hobby. To tell you the truth, when I first saw the video on http://www.beckett.com/ , I felt like I had just gotten a Craphonso Thorpe Auto in exchange for my Adrian Peterson redemption. For those of you unfamiliar with the situation, watch the video.



So yeah, this sucks. Upper deck has finally gone mental and actually thought they could slip the puck through our five hole. Who do they think they are dealing with? If I believed that this was pure luck and both Beckett and Upper Deck had nothing to do with it, I might as well go bid on all those NFL logo patches numbered to eleventy billion. Oh wait, like this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Eli-Manning-2004-Hot-Prospects-NFL-Logo-Patch-AUTO-350_W0QQitemZ290218085753QQihZ019QQcategoryZ149905QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Now, lets go over some odds here. If it is 1/70 cases for an Adrian Peterson Patch /99, I would assume it is next to impossible to pull the 1/1. Lets say its 1/700 cases to pull a 1/1 of any of the RC patches. Now lets say that it is 1/734 boxes to pull the single cut autos, almost triple for the duals. Add in a 1/1 LT base, and a quad jersey auto, and yeah were talking ridiculous here. I would say greater than 1/20,356,000 to pull all the cards they did (not the players they did, just a similar card palate).

Just luck huh?

Now, we had responses from both the breakers themselves AND the Beckett editorial staff that said they had no prior knowledge of what was in those boxes. I mean, where would they find the time to organize this, right? Wrong. Check out 2:20 in the main beckett vid. Yeah, that glance is dirtier than whore in Khazakstan. Either way, they told us that they got four boxes and only opened two.

Here is what I say: UD pulled the case with the AD 1/1 and sent a little note on which of those three to bust. THEEEEENNNN, they packed a special box that gave us that little shimmy down your spine while watching.

"Dear Beckett, thanks for the happy ending last night. I know you love it. Here is a case and one box to give you that warm fuzzy feeling you like when we cuddle. Now, obviously you only need to open 2 boxes - obviously the extra box and the one in the middle of your case. Ill tell you it will have you loving me 'ALL DAY'. From, your love, Upper Deck."

For some reason, I dont understand the four boxes they sent either - I mean why not just send a case? I think that is MORE than sufficient. Alas, they sent four. I think this is why.

So, on to the actual fourth box with the dual cut and the LT 1/1. Yeah, never would have made it out of the factory. Can you imagine getting that box? It would've made my life. Instead I got a teethy BJ from Beckett and UD. That infamous box violated about a million collation rules anyway, because there is no way in hell that any box would contain all them wonderful toys. Most of the Exquisite boxes are laid out like this:

1 "rare" card (not guaranteed)
1-2 "uncommon" cards
3 "common" cards

Three cards in this box would satisfy the first category. ITS WHY THERE ARE NEVER BOXES WITH MULTIPLE LOGO CARD 1/1s.

Lastly, I just want to list all the things the Beckett guys have pulled over the last year or so. I think it speaks volumes.

1/1 National Treasures Brady Quinn "So sick its dead" patch auto
1/1 Exquisite Adrian Peterson RC patch auto
1/1 Walter Payton/Brian Piccolo dual cut auto
1/1 Joe Dimaggio cut auto jersey.
/99 Exquisite Vince Young 3 color patch

Wow. That says a lot. Im kinda wondering where they buy their shit. This is fucking nuts.

Check back for more, UD should be posting a response soon. THIS SHOULD BE GREAT!

No comments:

Post a Comment